Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Jumping the 3 Foot Vault for the PARE and POPAT test: The Arcing Method

For some people, when they see the 3 foot vault it looks intimidating. When you look at it you think, "How am I gonna get over that?" Or, "I hope I don't trip and fall smack on my face on the other side!" If you think of the latter, it will likely happen to you. Think positive!

For me, the obvious answer is to just jump and swing both legs over. But not everyone is like me, and I don't expect my clients jump that way (unless they already are).

Now both feet going over is often the quickest way to go over. But it requires a certain amount strength, power, and coordination. For some this can take time to develop, and if you're short on time you need another method that is still quick and doesn't require you crawling or climbing over awkwardly.

This is where the arcing method comes in. I've had one client call it the twirly method, but whatever name you give it, it does not require the same strength and power requirements as both feet swinging over.

In the arcing method, you still jump off one leg. The other goes over the bar first, and the jumping leg follows suit as it trails over the bar. You look like you're performing an arc as you go over, hence the arcing method.

To see the arcing method in action, and to get a quick tutorial on how to perform it, check out the latest video I released on YouTube:



This method is especially useful for those doing the POPAT test, as the POPAT only allows you to grab the bar with your hands only. And since you don't have the running approach for the POPAT like you do in the PARE, you don't have momentum to help you jump over with the two leg swing method.


Give this a go and see how it feels.

11 comments:

  1. Hey Marc, I love the coaching you provide here. I have what may be a dumb question.... I set up a mock vault and realized, as I'm 6'3, I could step over the vault instead of leaping. Thinking this may conserve energy but is this technique even allowed? Thoughts?
    Thanks,
    S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Icepack, there's never a dumb question.

      First off, are you doing the PARE or the POPAT? If doing the PARE, it doesn't matter if you step over. If doing the POPAT, you can step over as long as you don't touch the bar with your body, you're only allowed to touch the bar with your hands.

      You may conserve some energy, but it's not going to conserve much. Stepping over the bar will also sacrifice a lot of time. And if you're being competitive, you want to save as much time as possible.

      So when you're practicing the vault, minimize the jump height. Going as high as you can is what will use up the energy.

      Marc L.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Marc. It is for the PARE... I reconsidered, realizing doing the step over is likely going to lose the momentum resulting in hurting my time, and I don't think I can afford that. I'm taking the first test next weekend and using it more of a baseline, if I pass great, but having never ran the course before it should be interesting. I'm not at the test weight I'd like to be at, but I used to do triathlons and still do the training on a regular basis, so we'll see how competitive I can get.
      Thanks Again!
      Shane

      Delete
    3. Ah yes, for the PARE you will want to carry over as much momentum as possible and stepping over will only slow you down.

      Having no prior experience on the course definitely will play a role in the kind of time you'll have. I'm not sure if you've seen my post on setting up your own course. If you haven't, here are a couple links to the post and the video:

      Post: http://rlconditioning.blogspot.ca/2014/06/how-to-set-up-your-own-parepopat-course.html
      Video: http://youtu.be/pZKWeHTw9h0

      The way I set it up is very close to the real deal, so at least you're not going into the test blind. Still, nothing like the real thing, haha.

      Good luck at your test Shane, and feel free to let me know how it goes.

      Marc L.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the well wishes.... I have in fact used your template to set up a mock course along a recreation canal - complete with stairs. I made the course longer, as it's usually better to train beyond the distance you're running.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One other quick question Marc, regarding the deadlight carry at the end of the course. Are you able to swing the weight over a shoulder or does it have to remain below shoulder height? I'm always lifting 80lb feed bags for my horses so that isn't a concern, but don't want to violate rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rule is to keep it under the shoulders and above the waist. Typically people will cradle the bag with both arms under, but they will also remind you of the rules at the test.

      Delete
  4. Hey Marc,
    Quick update - passed course today on 1st attempt. It wasn't the time I wanted, but, 4:20, but a pass is a pass. I tweaked a hip injury two days ago so I was happy to get through it. For being 42 and about 25lbs too much right now, I pushed through. You're training and video is a huge help in this process. It's in the details, and I was thinking of those as I went through it.
    Thanks for being such a great leader in this process for applicants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Shane! I know it's not what you wanted, but all things considered you did well on your first go around. Now you know what to expect and can take steps to being faster the next time.

    I'm glad my advice has been very helpful to you, and I hope it continues to be helpful. Good luck with your process!

    Marc L.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The test was for CBSA, so as I understand it, 4:45 was the mark and they don't require a second testing.... but I will continue the training :)

    All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's always good to keep up the training and have yourself fit, healthy, and strong.

      Congratulations again :)

      Delete